Our journey in living, loving and learning after loss.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

What Does "RE" Mean?

Reproductive Endocrinologist Really Expensive

Today was the meeting with the finance department at our RE's office. As much as I like this office, I mean their staff is wicked nice and Dr. Magneto is about 1 award away from epic, the reality is you get what you pay for. I've quickly realized they are not the Wal Mart of RE's. Oh no, they are the Jimmy Choo's. And here I thought it would be a waste to spend that kind of money on shoes. How quickly my mind is changing.

Anyway, I sat down with Brittany this morning to get down to brass tacks. Exactly how much are these medicated cycles going to cost?

First let's start with my baseline u/s that I have to have. That comes in at $365. That's literally just to make sure my ovaries are cyst free and to make sure my problem child right ovary is normal.

Then we get into the nitty gritty. Since we're doing ovulation induction and timed intercourse our costs aren't as steep as they could be. I'm sure there are going to people who read this post and go "oh Whaaa, poor baby." Yes, we're aware that we're on the fertile end of infertility which means we're on the cheaper end of this, but it still doesn't take away from the reality that this is going to suck.

One medicated cycle (ie: one month) will cost us roughly $500 - $750, depending on the number of u/s's that I need to have. In fact, it could even be up to $1,000 should my right ovary just suck massively and become cystopia. Dr. Magneto has ordered 6-9 cycles of this regime.

Now it could all change should my ovaries not respond to the Femara (warning to my ovaries, you bitches had better get your shit together!) and we have to change to a different med. It could also change should he decide to switch over to IUI which would roughly add on another $750 - $1000 per cycle.

So the real question is has the sticker price changed our minds? Not really. Unfortunately it does put a slight delay in things. Due to the price, we are going to have to wait one cycle to start this and will most likely have to alternate every other cycle. This next cycle will be with Crinone only. Then the next will be monitored/medicated cycle. Then Crinone, then medicated. You get the jist. It's not ideal, but it is what it is. We're paying for IF treatments outright and we have to do what our budget allows.

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to trigger along with doing the Femara? Oh I hope upon hope that it works for you hon. Preferably the first cycle!!! I will be praying for you. We were very blessed to have infertility insurance coverage, those prices are really expensive. But I'm really glad to hear that you are going to the Jimmy Choo of doctors :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sending daily memo's to your ovaries to get with the program and get you KU the first cycle. Just so you know. :)

    I'm sorry that it costs so much and I really hope that this does the trick. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete