Our journey in living, loving and learning after loss.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Going Green: Laundry Detergent

For anyone who is interested, here is where I got the recipe. I'm not going to pretend like I'm the creative cleaning goddess who came up with it, hell, I'm lucky I even figured out how to work the washer.

By the time I got home last night, I was tired and really didn't want to tackle making my cleaning products, but I forced myself to at least make the laundry detergent. Since we are out I figured I better have it on stand by. Shockingly, it wasn't a total disaster. I will say next time I'm going to try a different soap instead of the fels-naptha. Only because by the time I was done grating it, I could barely stand the smell of it. That oh so pretty scent became stomach churning after breathing it in for a few minutes.

If you have ever wanted to make your own laundry detergent, but thought it would be too hard to, or too time consuming, I assure you it isn't. It's so easy I could do it. It's pretty much like a 5 step process:

1. Grate a bar of soap
2. Pour said soap into a jar
3. Add 1 cup Borax
4. Add 1 cup washing soada
5. Mix

  


  
As far as scent goes, it really doesn't have much of one which is nice and from what I've read your clothes don't really end up having one. I haven't washed any clothes yet, so I'll have to report back on how they feel/smell once they are washed.  Laundry detergent aside, I do think I might have a problem kicking my clorox wipe habit. Last night while I was brushing my teeth I grabbed one and was wiping down the counters and all I could think was "it's going to be such a pain in the ass to have to spray and then wipe." Hoping that changes with my super cleaning session this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment