Our journey in living, loving and learning after loss.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Going Green: Stove Top

No, not the super awesome boxed side dish. I'm talking about your actual glass stove top. I don't know about you, but mine gets wicked dirty and feels like it's such a pain in the rear to clean. It's also the type where you HAVE to clean up the messes before you use it again. Otherwise it cakes on and becomes even more impossible to clean. All in all, I'm not a fan, but I'll keep it.

So that brings me to how to actually clean this thing sans harsh chemicals. It's super easy and if you do it right it's actually a lot faster than using the store bought cleaners. I also noticed messes don't stick to it as easy.

So our starting line up:

Baking Soda
Bucket/bowl of warm soapy water
Soft Washcloths/Towels*
Gloves

*note: be careful on your towel choice, you don't want anything too abrasive that will scratch your glass stove top.



Step One: Grab your warm soapy water (don't use too much soap)









Step Two: Throw your towels into said soapy water, let soak a few








Step Three: Sprinkle baking soda all over your stove top. I use a larger amount in really dirty/greasy areas







Step Four: Squeeze the excess water out of your towels and place the damp towels gently over your stove top






Step Five: Set an alarm and walk away for 15 minutes. It HAS to sit for at least 15 minutes.







Step Six: Grab your gloves. Trust me, don't try to do this without them. The first time I didn't have gloves and thought "eh, why do I need them," but by the end of my cleaning my hands burned they were so dry. Baking soda dries your hands out something fierce something fast. So PLEASE save yourself the agony and just wear the damn gloves!




Step Seven: Gently start to wipe the baking soda off. Now some areas will need a little more elbow grease or even some more baking soda. No worries, just adapt and adjust as needed. Essentially you want to liquify the baking soda, rub it all over and rub as much excess as possible off. Just keep repeating these steps until you have your stove cleaned to your standards. The first time or two it may take a couple shots.




Step Eight: Do your best to not cuss me out when you notice this ugly film form on your stove top. It comes off, I promise. Absolutely no one warned me about this in all the tutorials I found on this process and I was PISSED when it happened. I thought I did something wrong or screwed something up and just ruined my stove top. Pissed actually doesn't come close to it. I was like track down and whoop your ass pissed. Grab your windex and a soft microfiber towel and buff it out.



Step Nine: Let out a loud sigh when you realize your stove top is not only not broken, but super clean! Now, this may seem like a lot of steps, but once you actually get it down it goes really fast (after the waiting time of course) and honestly I really do love how my stove looks. It also is easy to clean it if you maintain the clean.






Overall impression: This new process is not only CHEAP, it's really easy to do so it's another permanent staple in this house.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Thank you for pointing out the horror film too so I don't panic when I do this. I love your green posts. I ordered the stuff to make homemade dish detergent.

    ReplyDelete