Our journey in living, loving and learning after loss.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Going Green: Laundry Detergent *New recipe

Next on the agenda is the laundry detergent, the revised recipe of course. As I previously stated there were times where I found my laundry needed just a little more oomph to get it clean. So off to the internet I went to find a recipe that includes Oxyclean. I've used oxyclean in other capacities so I know the stuff is good.

The starting line up is:

1 Cup Borax
1 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Oxyclean product*
1 bar Fels-Naptha

*note: Don't feel like you have to buy the name brand Oxyclean. We didn't. T actually compared labels in the store (I wanted the name brand) and the generic version is literally identical in ingredients to the name brand, but like 1/3 the price. I'm not THAT interested in paying for a label if you know what I mean.

Mixing is much like the old recipe so I'll spare the pics. Mix the 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda & 1/2 cup oxyclean product. Grade your bar of fels-naptha and combine with the mixture. Some people then use a food processor to mix it all to a sand consistency and while I understand I was way too lazy last time and didn't. The effect is the same and honestly over time the fels-naptha starts to break down anyway so a week or two later it's pretty much the sand consistency. To use, add 1-2 tablespoons to your load (I use 2 on linens/towels/T's uniforms.)

Much like the dishwasher detergent, you might have issues with the borax & washing soda clumping so be sure to store in an air tight container. I use two actually. Since I make bulk batches I have a large container and a small one that I transfer to. The small one is just easier to get into so I just pour into. Every time I use it I make sure to give the container a good shake to make sure everything stays mixed up nicely.

The laundry detergent, I've been using faithfully since I started this whole transition and I'm never going back. The amount of money we save is sickening. We do a lot of laundry in this house due to have animals and living in dusty Arizona. I will spend roughly $16 on all my supplies to make a batch that will last around 4 months when originally we paid $16 every 3 weeks or so for the CHEAP detergent.

Overall impression: The new recipe has proven to work better than the store bought stuff and I have less issues with my colors fading and my whites look awesome. Another permanent fixture in this house.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try this! It's on my list of things to do in the next couple of months. I want to make it up before I run out of the stuff I have on hand, that way I will be more likely to use this than go buy more of the store bought kind.

    ReplyDelete