Our journey in living, loving and learning after loss.

Friday, May 25, 2012

133 Days...

Or 4 months, 1 week & 5 days

I'm an idiot. I was so excited about our new duffel bags and waist packs that I completely spaced the colorful addition to the family, our shoe bags! Doh!

Alright, don't look too closely though because you'll be able to see all the flaws. Why? Because I made them! Yep, I'm learning to sew and figured this would be a good starter project for me. Not sure why my camera makes the colors crazy, but both are a cream base with blue/green/brown dots and pink/gold/purple circles.

Why did I make my own bags when you can buy them? I'm picky, although that isn't something new. I wanted something that was machine washable, durable, and not a plastic bag. Yes, I'm one of those people who wrapped their shoes up in Fry's plastic shopping bags. Allow me to hang my head in shame.When I was in my mad search for the perfect duffel bags I started looking for shoe bags, but was turned off by the colors, but mostly the price. $14.39 plus shipping for 2 bags was a bit step considering we need 6 (3 a piece). So off to Pinterest I went.

It took me all of 4 seconds to find this really easy tutorial. Then I bought some sale fabric at the quilting store and off to the sewing machine I went. I'll admit it was a little difficult to figure it out, but once I finished one the rest went wicked fast! The hardest part was just cutting the fabric, but I was also learning how to use the rotary cutter & mat. I'm sure for someone who isn't a novice seamstress these bags would be a quick afternoon project.

I couldn't be happier with the end results. Sure they aren't perfect, they aren't 100% symmetrical and I'm sure none are identical in size, but they still make me smile every time I look at them. They are also exactly what I want. A nice stiff, but flexible cotton, easy to open/close and fold up into a very small size. At the end of this project, I probably spent around $20 for 6 bags, not too shabby if
you ask me!




No comments:

Post a Comment