Our journey in living, loving and learning after loss.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Going Back To Dance

Okay, not really, well, sort of.

It’s no secret that I’m having the hardest time sticking with this new work out regimen. I’m bored, that’s my problem. Exercise should be fun and relaxing. Not monotonous and boring. Right now, it’s monotonous and boring.

I’ll admit, the 30 Day Shred DVD is awesome. Totally kicked my ass the first go around and really helped me build up my stamina for working out. I would recommend this DVD to anyone. Now though, it’s just not challenging at all. I find myself completely zoning out while doing it and after I’m done feeling like I didn’t work out at all. Then the treadmill. Sure, it’s great cardio, but I’m in a junk filled room (totally need to clean it out) and walking towards what? My wall? Yeah, boring.

In an effort to try to get back on the work out horse (and actually stay on it) I went to Amazon.com to research some new work out DVD’s. I’ve heard a lot about Zumba so I checked them out and as I was going through the workout DVD’s I came across these three DVD’s.


Xtend Barre: Lean & Chiseled
Element: Ballet Conditioning
Ballet Body

Immediately I was intrigued. I used to dance a lot when I was younger and LOVED it. It was awesome exercise, but was so much fun you didn’t really think of it as exercise. I still love to dance and could do it for hours now. Ballet is definitely NOT for sissies. I know everyone makes fun of it, but the muscle control you have to have in order to do ballet is intense! There is a reason those ladies have long lean muscles. It’s because in ballet, you use muscles that you don’t use in everyday activities. Looking at these DVD’s inspired me to look back at some old pictures of me in high school, when dance was part of my daily routine. All I had to do was see my old legs, sold.

Don’t get me wrong, even while dancing I wasn’t super thin by any means at a size 10, but I was happy then. I looked good, my muscles were firm and I felt amazing. Not just because I liked my shape, but because I was relaxed. Ballet is very relaxing to me. While yes, it is totally making your legs feel like jelly, the slow controlled movements help me focus and I end up forgetting about all the nagging crap that was bothering me. And not to be completely gross, but getting the flexibility back would be nice.

So I ordered the DVD’s and the first 2 arrived tonight. I didn’t do them yet, but I can honestly say I’m so excited! Depending on how well I stick to this, I might even consider getting a barre for my den. Even if the DVD’s don’t help me lose a lot of weight, just the stress relief alone will make them worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment