Our journey in living, loving and learning after loss.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

SA & HSG...Check & Check!

Let me preface this by saying I'm going to be honest in this post, so if you don't want to hear the nitty gritty details then I would skip this. You've been warned.

Lets start with T's SA. I'll be honest, I went into this with a totally different picture in my head than the reality was. I pictured a dimly lit room, a big soft chair in the middle, maybe some aromatherapy candles and a little Barry White playing in the background. It was a bathroom. A BATHROOM. I thought it was a little sketchy being at a LabCorp, but holy mother of the fertility gods that was ridic! The awkward part was that there was another gentleman there for the same thing. He went into the bathroom, did his deed, came out and the lab guy was like "okay T, go ahead." I'm kind of pissed at A Smile Like Yours because the room in that movie set the bar that LabCorp just couldn't live up to.

Next up was my HSG. Now this office was exactly what I thought it would be. Very nice, warm people, beautifully decorated. Had super comfy chairs in the waiting room and had this awesome undress rooms. Yes, they had a specific room to remove your clothing and put on your gown. It was wicked. The room that I had my HSG in was a bit more sterile than the other rooms, but that's to be expected. Thankfully the tech and the radiologist woman were very nice and did their best to help me relax while explaining the process. It was nerve wracking to say the least. I mean, there I was laying on this hard metal table with this ginormous x-ray like thing above it that they use to watch the dye.

The procedure itself was uncomfortable, literally. First up they completely paint your nether regions with iodine to make sure you are clean and such, then they insert this lovely little catheter INTO your cervix, inflate this little bubble and fill you up with dye. Fun, fun, fun. The best part, she had a lot of issues getting the catheter in. She mentioned something to the effect that she thinks there might be scar tissue on my cervix from my cold knife cone procedure. It ultimately took her about 15 minutes and two different catheters to get things going. The dye part was nothing compared to the placement of the catheter.

The test went very fast and it was pretty cool to watch it on the screen, despite my not knowing what I was looking at. We did see that my uterus is slightly tilted to the left (already knew that) and the good part, both tubes are completely open. The dye just rushed right through them bad boys and the radiologist said "Perfect! Exactly what we want!" She'll get the complete report to my doc in a few days, but I'm relieved that she at least gave me the thumbs up right there.

There has been some cramping since the procedure, but thankfully at 5 hours out I'm feeling almost 100% normal. I'm guessing by tomorrow I'll feel like me again and thank god, just in time to start obsessing over OPK's. We have to wait for T's SA results, but my doc said they usually get them pretty fast so hopefully we hear something soon. Now we wait...ah, the good old never ending waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment