Our journey in living, loving and learning after loss.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

5w1d - Internet =/= Your Friend

The internet is a wonderful thing that has made everyday life not only easier, but lazier. Now, you don’t have to go to the library and actually read a book, oh no, just Google and you have your response. I’m sure by the time spawn is in school and doing his/her reports, when I ask about going to the library to do research, s/he will wonder what that mythical place even is. Personally, I’m a fan of actual books. I like to hold them and manually turn the pages. I love the smell of a book after it’s had a few years to age on your shelf. That’s not saying I don’t have eBooks on my iPad, I most certainly do.

Anynews, the internet can also be your worst enemy turning on you at the drop of a hat. When you are worried and concerned about something, you no longer need to turn to friends and family, you can Google your issue and see all those lovely statistics that make you turn from a totally sane and rational person to a complete psycho basket case, especially about pregnancy. Ladies, and even gentlemen, when you are concerned about something relating to your pregnancy, do yourself a HUGE favor and don’t Google it, actually call your doctor and ask.

Google has turned into my own personal drug. I know it’s bad. I know that everyone tells me I should stop, but I just can’t. There is something about having the ability to pull up thousands of worst case scenarios in a matter of milliseconds that just makes the world go round. I get a little cramp, I Dr. Google my issue and of course the results tell me that I’m either having a miscarriage, an ectopic pregnancy, a cancerous tumor growing in my uterus or every now and then it tells me I’m completely normal and it’s a healthy sign of pregnancy.

So what’s the moral of the story here kids? When you are have a question about your pregnancy, or anything really, don’t turn to our frenemy Google, actually ask a human being who can rattle off the same statistics, but with a little more personal touch. It’s like a fuck you, with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment